Are you concerned about the privacy of your home and have a Ring Camera? Blocking this device is an important step to ensure that you are only recording what you want and nothing else. Here are the steps to take how to block a ring camera.
When it comes to safety and security, Ring cameras offer quick mobile access to your home. But if you don’t want the world spying on your house 24/7 or just want a bit of extra privacy while at home, sometimes it’s best to block the view of your camera. Blocking a Ring camera is easy; all you need are some simple supplies like tape, fabric, and cardboard that can be bought from any store.
Once you have them ready, here’s how you can use them to effectively block out your Ring camera’s POV and protect yourself from prying eyes.
What are the Benefits of Blocking a Ring Camera?
Blocking your Ring camera offers many benefits, such as preventing strangers from seeing into your home and making it harder for hackers to access your camera feed. Blocking your camera also helps preserve the device’s battery life and can help reduce the number of false motion alerts you receive if it is positioned in a high-traffic area.
Additionally, blocking a Ring Camera adds an extra layer of privacy to your home, so if you are worried about potential intruders or looky-loos down the street peering into your yard, this is a great way to turn off their view.
What Will You Need?
To properly block out the view of your camera, you will need some basic supplies. Such as follows:
1. Tape: Scotch or masking tape will work, but duct tape and painter’s tape are better because they stick to surfaces more securely and can be easily removed when you want to unblock the camera.
2. Fabric: You can use any kind of fabric, such as a pillowcase, curtain, or even a large blanket, to cover the entire camera and its field of view.
3. Cardboard: You can use any kind of cardboard, such as a cereal box or pizza box. Make sure it is large enough to cover the lens of your Ring camera so that no light passes through.
8 Easy Steps on How to Block a Ring Camera
Once you have all the necessary supplies, follow these steps to block your Ring camera:
Step 1. Position Your Fabric:
Lay your fabric over the camera lens, ensuring it completely blocks any light from passing through. You can use tape to secure the edges of the fabric in place. It will help keep the fabric in place over time. Don’t forget to leave some extra fabric on the sides so that you can easily adjust the cover if needed.
Step 2. Place Cardboard Over the Top:
Lay a piece of cardboard over the lens, making sure it completely covers it and that no light can pass through. Secure any loose edges with tape to make sure it remains firmly in place. It also helps to place a piece of tape over the lens itself to prevent light from seeping through.
Step 3. Secure the Fabric and Cardboard in Place:
Use tape to firmly secure the fabric and cardboard, ensuring no light can pass through. Make sure you cover all sides of the camera so that no one will be able to see anything from any angle. Additionally, use more tape around the edges of the fabric and cardboard to help secure it in place.
Step 4. Check for Gaps and Light Leaks:
Once everything is secured in place, look at your setup to ensure nothing is leaking out or peeking through. If you see any gaps, add another layer of fabric or cardboard until it’s completely blocked off. Otherwise, you’re done!
Step 5. Check the Camera is Still Working Properly:
Once everything is secure, check to make sure that your camera is still functioning properly. You should be able to access it from your phone and see if the footage is still being recorded. If you find that light is still leaking through, add another layer of fabric or cardboard until it’s completely blocked off.
Step 6. Test the Camera from Different Angles:
Test out your camera from different angles to make sure that no one can peek in from any direction. You can also check if the camera is still recording properly by accessing it from your phone. By doing this, you can make sure that no one is able to see anything from any angle.
Step 7. Remove When Not in Use:
When you are not using the Ring camera, remove the fabric and cardboard covering to preserve battery life. It will also help to keep the camera in good condition for longer use. Moreover, it’s a good idea to remove the coverings regularly, even when you are using them, as this will help reduce any potential obstruction or limitation of the camera’s view.
Step 8. Monitor Your Home Remotely:
It’s important to check on your home remotely and ensure that everything is secure even when you’re away from home for an extended period. If you notice any suspicious activity, make sure to report it right away. Remember, you can always block your Ring camera to ensure that no one can see into your home.
Following these simple steps, you can successfully block your Ring camera and protect your home from intruders. Make sure to review the steps periodically and replace any worn-out supplies with new ones for maximum security. With the right precautions in place, you can keep your home safe and sound!
5 Additional Tips and Tricks
1. Turn Off Notifications: Make sure to turn off notifications on your Ring camera. This will prevent unwanted notifications and alerts from appearing while you’re away.
2. Disable Motion Detection: Disabling motion detection can help reduce the number of false alarms and unnecessary alerts sent to your phone, so you should consider turning it off when you’re not home or actively using the camera.
3. Utilize Schedules: You can set up schedules for your Ring cameras to turn on and off at specific times of day or night, depending on your preferences. This can be a great way to ensure the camera isn’t active when you don’t need it.
4. Secure Your Network: Make sure that your Wi-Fi network is secure and password protected, as this will make it more difficult for hackers to gain access to your system.
5. Change Your Passwords Regularly: Lastly, it’s important to remember to change your passwords regularly. Changing your password every few months will help keep your system secure and prevent malicious actors from gaining access.
Following these tips and tricks can help you ensure that your Ring camera is secure and protected against any unwanted intrusions or breaches of privacy. By taking the time to secure your system properly, you can enjoy the added convenience and peace of mind that comes with having a connected home security system like Ring.
5 Things You Should Avoid
1. Not Updating Your System: Make sure to keep your Ring camera’s firmware up to date, as this will help protect against any potential security concerns.
2. Not Keeping Passwords Secure: Don’t leave your Ring password sitting around where anyone can find it, and always make sure to keep any passwords secure by using complex characters or phrases.
3. Leaving Your Camera Unattended: Don’t leave your camera unattended in areas with lots of foot traffic or other people who could potentially access the footage.
4. Not Blocking Out Light: Make sure that you block out all light coming from the camera, as this will help prevent anyone from looking into your home remotely.
5. Not Testing Your System Regularly: Test your system regularly to make sure that all settings are functioning properly and everything is secure, so you can be confident that your home is safe.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can ensure that your Ring camera is as secure and
reliable as possible. With the right precautions in place, you can keep your home safe and sound while enjoying the convenience of a connected security system!
Blocking a Ring Camera is not difficult, and with the steps outlined in this blog post, you can easily block any camera from your home. It is important to remember that every home and situation is different, so take some time to consider what will work best for you.
Additionally, it may make sense to check local laws as there may be regulations surrounding blocking cameras. Ultimately, if you are concerned about privacy or just don’t want someone snooping in on your house without permission, taking the necessary steps to block a Ring camera can provide peace of mind. Finding a solution that works for you and your family should always be the top priority when it comes to safety and security in the home.
Hopefully, the article on how to block a ring camera was helpful. Thanks for reading!