If you’re like most people, you probably have a Wordlock combination that you use to lock your bike or other belongings. But what do you do if you forget the combination? In this blog post, we’ll show you how to change a wordlock combination without having to destroy the lock. Keep reading to learn more!
What Is a Wordlock?
A Wordlock is a type of combination lock that uses words instead of numbers. The word combinations are usually easy to remember, which makes them popular for locking up bikes and other belongings. The downside is that if you forget your combination, it can be difficult to reset the lock. Wordlock combination locks typically have four dials, each with a different letter of the alphabet. To open the lock, you need to spell out a word or phrase.
Step by Step How to Change a Wordlock Combination
1. Inspect the Lock
The first step is to take a close look at your lock. There should be four dials, each with a different alphabet letter. There may also be a reset button or switch. Inspect the lock to see if there are any instructions on changing the combination. Try looking for a small screw or knob that you can turn to reset the lock.
2. Unscrewing the Lock’s Cover Plate
If you can’t find any instructions on the lock, you’ll need to remove the cover plate. This will give you access to the reset mechanism. To remove the cover plate, start by unscrewing the screws that hold it in place. In most cases, you’ll need a Phillips head screwdriver. First, loosen the screws that hold the cover plate in place. Then, remove the cover plate completely. If your lock has a knob or switch, you may need to unscrew it before removing the cover plate.
3. Locate the Change Keyhole
Once you’ve removed the cover plate, you should see a small hole near the dials. This is the change keyhole, and it’s where you’ll insert the change key. A change key is a small tool that’s included with the lock. If you don’t have a change key, you can purchase one online or at a hardware store. Try to insert the change key into the hole. If it’s a tight fit, you may need to wiggle it around a bit. If you can’t insert the change key, double-check to make sure you’ve removed the cover plate completely.
3. Locate the Reset Mechanism
Once you’ve located the change keyhole, you should be able to see the reset mechanism. It’s a small lever or knob that you’ll need to move in order to reset the combination. In most cases, the reset mechanism is located near the change keyhole. If you can’t find it, look for a small screw that you can turn. Once you’ve found the reset mechanism, give it a quarter turn clockwise. To turn it, you may need to use a small tool, such as a paperclip.
4. Resetting the Dials
With the reset mechanism engaged, you can now reset the combination. Start by setting the dials to your desired combination. To reset the dials, first, choose your desired combination. Then, line up the dials so that the letters on the dials spell out the combination. Once the dials are in the correct position, turn the knob or dial clockwise until it clicks into place.
5. Choose a New Word or Phrase
When choosing a new combination, it’s important to pick a word or phrase that you’ll remember. But it would be best to ensure that the combination isn’t too easy to guess. Avoid using easily guessed words like “password” or your birthdate. Instead, try to come up with a phrase that has personal meaning to you. For example, you could use the name of your childhood pet. You can use an online random word generator if you can’t think of a good combination.
6. Set the Dials to the New Combination
Once you’ve chosen a new combination, it’s time to set the dials. To do this, first, find the dials on your lock. There are usually three or four of them, and they’re usually located near the bottom of the lock. Once you’ve found the dials, use your thumb and forefinger to set them to your new combination. Please start with the first dial, and turn it to the left or right until it’s pointing to your first number. Then, do the same with the second and third dials. Once all of the dials are pointing to your new combination, your lock should be reset, and you’ll be able to use it with your new combination. If you can’t remember your new combination, you can always use the change key to reset it.
7. Replace the Cover Plate
Once you’ve reset the combination, it’s time to replace the cover plate. To do this, first, find the screws that hold the cover plate in place. In most cases, these screws will be located on the back of the lock. Once you’ve found the screws, remove them using a screwdriver. Next, take the cover plate and align it with the holes on the back of the lock. Once you’ve done this, replace the screws and tighten them until the cover plate is secure. If your lock doesn’t have screws, you may need to snap the cover plate into place.
8. Test Out the New Combination
Once you’ve replaced the cover plate, your lock should be reset, and you should be able to use your new combination. First, open the lock by inputting your old combination to test it out. Once the shackle is released, turn the knob to reset the dials to 0-0-0. Next, input your new combination to see if the lock opens. If it doesn’t open, ensure you’ve followed all of the steps correctly and inputted the correct combination. With a little practice, you should be able to change your Wordlock combination easily. If the lock opens, congratulations, you’ve successfully changed your combination.
9. Write Down the New Combination
It’s important to write down your new combination somewhere safe in case you forget it. You could use a notebook, a piece of paper, or even a digital device. Just make sure you store it somewhere only you can access it. If you have trouble remembering your new combination, you could try setting a reminder on your phone or computer.
10. Enjoy Your New Lock.
You’ve now successfully changed your Wordlock combination. Enjoy using your new lock, and feel confident knowing that your belongings are safe and secure. If you need to change your combination again in the future, follow these steps, and you’ll be able to do it in no time.
Tips and Warnings on How to Change a Wordlock Combination
1. Be sure to write down the new combination in a safe place.
2. Make sure that the shackle is in the open position before you begin.
3. Use a ballpoint pen to press each of the buttons for your new code.
4. Be sure not to forget your new combination!
1. DO NOT use a sharp object to press the buttons, as this may damage the lock.
2. Be sure that you have chosen a combination that you will remember, as there is no way to reset the lock if you forget it.
3. Do not share your combination with anyone else, as they will be able to access your belongings.
4. If you give the lock to someone else, reset the combination first.
You Can Check It Out How to Open Window Restrictors
How to Prevent Future Lockouts
1. Keep a spare key in a safe place, such as with a trusted friend or family member, in case you forget your combination.
2. Make sure to write down your new combination in a safe place, and keep it in a place where only you can access it.
3. Consider setting a reminder on your phone or computer to help you remember your new combination.
4. If you have trouble remembering your new combination, try using a mnemonic device to help you remember it. For example, you could use the first letter of each word in a sentence to create a new combination, such as “My dog’s name is Fido,” which would become 1-2-3-4.
5. If you are still having trouble remembering your new combination, consider using a password manager to help you keep track of it.
6. Try not to use easily guessed combinations, such as your birthday or your anniversary.
7. If you are worried about forgetting your combination, you could consider buying a lock with a backup key. This way, if you do forget your combination, you will still be able to access your belongings.
This article has provided a step-by-step guide on How to Change a Wordlock Combination. So there you have it. You are now a Wordlock master! Remember, practice makes perfect, so keep trying until you can open your lock with your eyes closed (or at least without looking). Don’t hesitate to contact us if you ever get stuck and need help. We are always happy to help our customers unlock their potential.
You Can Check It Out Replace Commercial Door Lock