We usually need the most security and peace of mind while traveling at night. After an exhausting day sightseeing or running around town, having a safe room can be paramount to enjoying your stay. However, in certain cases, you may want extra levels of protection from opportunistic criminals who take advantage of weakened security measures.
In addition to making a backup plan for personal safety, many travelers turn to simple methods such as locking doors from outside hotel rooms for additional layers of protection when staying away from home. Read on for tips on how you can make sure your temporary space stays secure by following these guidelines and advice on how to lock hotel door from outside!
7 Best Methods on How to Lock Hotel Door From Outside
Method 1: Use a Door Jam
A door jam is an easy way to ensure your door stays securely locked. This can be placed between the floor and the bottom of the door, which will ensure that no one can push or kick open your room door. Most hotels have these available at the front desk or can be purchased online for added convenience.
Method 2: Install a Door Chain
Installing a door chain inside your hotel room door is another great way to ensure it stays secure while you’re away. This should be installed near the top or middle of the door so that it can be easily reached and securely locked. Door chains are usually available to purchase from most hotel front desks or online.
Method 3: Add a Door Guard
Adding a door guard is another great way to ensure your room stays protected while you’re away. This should be installed on the inside of the door near the top, and it will prevent anyone from being able to unlock or open the door from the outside. Again, these are usually available to purchase from most hotel front desks or online.
Method 4: Place a Barricade in Front of the Door
Placing a piece of furniture or another large object in front of your hotel room door is another great way to ensure it stays secure while you’re away. This should be done on the inside of the door, and it will prevent anyone from being able to open or unlock the door from the outside.
Method 5: Use a Door Hinge Lock
A door hinge lock is another great way to ensure your hotel room door stays secure while you’re away. This type of lock should be installed near the top of the door and will prevent anyone from being able to unlock or open the door from the outside. These are often available to purchase from most hotels’ front desks or online.
Method 6: Place a Wedge Underneath the Door
Placing a wedge underneath your hotel room door is another great way to ensure it stays secure while you’re away. This should be placed between the floor and the bottom of the door, which will ensure that no one can push or kick open your room door from outside.
Method 7: Install a Key Lock
Finally, installing a key lock on your hotel room door is another great way to ensure it stays secure while you’re away. This should be installed on the inside of the door near the top and will prevent anyone from unlocking or opening the door from outside using a key. These are usually available to purchase from most hotels’ front desks or online for added convenience.
By following these seven methods for how to lock the hotel door from the outside, you can ensure that your room remains secure while you’re away. Remember always to ensure the locks are in working order and that all your personal belongings are safely stored away before leaving.
Additional Tips and Tricks to Lock Hotel Door From Outside
1. Most hotels provide a security card that can be inserted into the lock. If so, make sure to use it to secure your room whenever you leave for any period of time.
2. Some locks are secured with a code system that requires entering a key code to enter or exit the room. Make sure to memorize the code or write it down somewhere safe.
3. If you are leaving for an extended period of time, consider using a chain lock in addition to your security card or key code. This will provide extra security and may be necessary if there is a history of theft in the area.
4. Have a plan in mind if you or someone else gets locked out of the room. Many hotels have an emergency phone number to call for this purpose. It’s always best to make sure you know who to contact before an emergency occurs.
5. If you are staying somewhere that does not provide a key, ask for a replacement as soon as possible. This will ensure that you always have access to your room and that it is secure when you are away for any amount of time.
6. Finally, make sure to keep an eye out for anyone suspicious in the area. If you see someone who looks out of place, be sure to report them to the front desk.
By following these tips and tricks, you can ensure that it is properly secured from outside intruders when you leave your hotel room. This will help ensure peace of mind for both you and your belongings.
Things You Should Consider While Locking Hotel Door From Outside
1. Be aware of your surroundings. Before attempting to lock the hotel door from the outside, take a few moments to observe who or what is around you and ensure it is safe to proceed.
2. Stay alert for any signs of forced entry. Look for broken locks, bent or damaged frames, and other signs that someone may have attempted to gain entry.
3. Make sure the door is actually locked when you leave. Even if you think it is secure, double-check the lock by physically testing it with your hands before you go.
4. Always use a key or card instead of leaving the door open, as this ensures that no one can enter the room when you are not present.
5. Use extra security measures, if available such as keycards or other digital locks. These will provide additional protection against unauthorized entry into your room.
6. Consider using a deadbolt lock for added security and peace of mind, especially in areas with higher crime rates or where access to the room might be limited.
7. Keep your hotel keycard or key in a secure location so that it is not easily accessible to anyone else. This will help ensure that no one can gain access to your room without permission.
8. If you are leaving the hotel for an extended period of time, consider using a combination lock on the door. This will ensure that only you or someone with the correct code can unlock it when you are away.
9. Be sure to inform the front desk of your expected return time and contact details so that they can help if there is an issue with locking or unlocking the hotel room from outside.
10. Make sure always to lock the door when you leave and double-check that it is secure before exiting. This will help ensure your safety and that of other hotel guests.
By taking all of these steps, you can be sure that your hotel room is securely locked from the outside while you are away. Locking the door is important to stay safe, so always take the necessary steps when leaving your room.
What is the Best Method of Locking the Hotel Door From the Outside?
The best method of locking a hotel door from the outside is to use a deadbolt lock. Deadbolts are the most secure and reliable type of locks available. They are designed to be virtually impossible to pick, providing an extra layer of security for your belongings and peace of mind while you’re away from your room. When using a deadbolt, it’s important to ensure the bolt extends at least one inch into the door frame and that the latch is securely engaged in the strike plate.
You should also double-check that you have pushed the button or turned the key properly to ensure it is locked. Another option for locking a hotel door from the outside is using a small padlock on the handle. This requires the door to be closed and adds an extra level of security, but it is not as secure as a deadbolt. Additionally, you should ensure that any windows in the room are properly secured with locks or other devices before leaving your hotel room.
Knowing how to lock hotel door from outside is an important safety measure for those who travel often. With the step-by-step guide mentioned above, you can now easily secure your hotel room.
However, it’s advised that you don’t take this task too lightly, as leaving your valuables unmonitored in a room that someone else could access easily isn’t wise. If you’re worried about your items being safe while you’re away, make sure to lock the door and double-check that it is secured properly.