Removing Safety First door knob locks can be a bit tricky, but with a little bit of patience and the right tools, it can be done fairly easily. In this blog post, we will show you how to remove safety first door knob lock. We will also provide tips on avoiding damaging the door knob in the process. So if you’re looking to give your home a little more security, keep reading!
What Causes a Safety First Door Knob Lock to Become Stuck?
There are a few reasons why a safety first door knob lock can become stuck. One of the most common reasons is that the locking mechanism is jammed. This can be caused by dirt or debris build-up, which prevents the locking mechanism from moving properly. Another reason why door knob locks can become stuck is that the screws that hold them in place are loose.
Over time, these screws can work their way loose, which causes the lock to become loose and eventually stuck.
Additionally, if the door knob is made of cheap materials, it is more susceptible to breaking or becoming stuck. The other main reason why door knob locks can become stuck is because of weather changes. Extreme cold or heat can cause the materials of the door knob to contract or expand, which can cause the locking mechanism to become jammed.
Lastly, if the door is constantly being used, the locking mechanism can become worn down, which will also cause it to become stuck.
Some Easy Ways on How to Remove Safety First Door Knob Lock
1. Use a Screwdriver
If the screws that hold the door knob in place are loose, you can try to remove the door knob using a screwdriver. First, locate the screws that hold the door knob in place. There are usually two screws, one on the inside of the doorknob and one on the outside. Once you have located the screws, use a screwdriver to remove them. Be careful not to strip the screws. If you strip the screws, you will need to replace them before removing the doorknob.
2. Use a Knife
If the screws are stripped, or you can’t find them, you can try to remove the door knob using a knife. First, insert the knife’s blade into the small hole on the doorknob. Second, twist the knife until you feel the knob come loose. Finally, pull the door knob off of the door. The knife method may damage the door, so be extra careful.
3. Use a Hammer
Hammering the door knob can also loosen it. It is best to use a hammer with a chisel tip. Line up the chisel with the groove in the door knob. Apply pressure to the back of the hammer with your free hand and strike the chisel. The vibration will loosen the door knob. You may need to strike it a few times to get it loose. If the door knob is still not budging, try using a screwdriver similarly.
4. Apply WD-40
If the door knob is still stuck, you can try applying WD-40. This lubricant can help loosen the door knob. To use, spray WD-40 onto the door knob. Let it sit for a few minutes before trying to turn the doorknob again. If this doesn’t work, you can try using a stronger lubricant.
5. Use a Nail File
You can try using a nail file if you don’t have WD-40 or another lubricant. First, insert the nail file into the keyhole and wiggle it around to loosen the mechanism. Next, insert the file into the hole at the bottom of the knob and twist it until the knob pops off. Avoid using a metal file, as this could damage the finish on your door.
6. Use a Paperclip
You can try using a paper clip if you don’t have a nail file. First, straighten out the paperclip. Next, insert the paperclip into the keyhole. Finally, turn the paperclip until the lock opens. The Paperclip method may not work on all safety first door knob locks.
7. Use a Safety Pin
You can try using a safety pin if you don’t have a paper clip. First, straighten out the safety pin. Next, insert the safety pin into the hole on the doorknob. Finally, turn the knob, and hopefully, the door will open. Safety pins can be tricky, so if this doesn’t work, don’t give up and try one of the other methods below.
8. Use a Needle
A needle can also be used to open a safety first door knob lock. First, straighten out the needle. Next, insert the needle into the keyhole and apply pressure. The needles will pop the pins inside the lock, allowing you to turn the knob. Avoid using this method if you don’t have a steady hand, as it can be difficult to control the needle.
10. Use Tweezers
Tweezers can be used in a similar way to needles. First, straighten out the tweezers. Next, insert the tips of the tweezers into the keyhole. Finally, turn the tweezers in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction. Tweezers are a great option if you don’t have any needles on hand.
11. Use Pliers
Pliers can also be used to open a safety first door knob lock. First, insert the tips of the pliers into the keyhole. Next, twist the pliers until you feel the locking mechanism inside the knob click. Finally, pull on the doorknob to open the door. If you have difficulty opening the door, try using a different plier or lubricating the keyhole.
12. Use a Hairpin
A hairpin can be used in a similar way to a paperclip. First, straighten out the hairpin. Next, insert the hairpin into the keyhole and apply pressure. You should feel the pins inside the lock click into place. Once all the pins are in place, turn the hairpin to unlock the door. If you don’t have a hairpin, you can also use a straightened-out paperclip.
13. Hire a Locksmith
If none of the above methods work, you may need to hire a locksmith. A locksmith will be able to open your door without damaging the lock. They will also be able to give you a new key if you need one. Hiring a locksmith is usually the best option when all else fails.
Tips and Warnings on How to Remove Safety First Door Knob Lock
- Be sure to have the correct size and type of screwdriver for the screws holding the knob in place.
- Inspect the screws to be sure that they are not rusted or damaged in any way.
- If the screws are rusted or damaged, you may need to use a power drill to remove them.
- Be careful not to strip the screws when removing them.
- Once the screws are removed, the knob should come off easily.
- If the knob is stuck, you may need to use a pry bar or other tool to remove it.
- Be careful not to damage the door when removing the knob.
- Once the knob is removed, you can then proceed to remove the lock.
- Do not use a power drill unless you are sure that you can remove the screws without damaging the door.
- Do not use a power saw unless you are sure that you can remove the screws without damaging the door.
- Never force the knob or the lock, as this can damage the door.
- Always wear safety goggles when using power tools.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using power tools.
How to Prevent Future Issues
- To prevent the need for How to Remove Safety First Door Knob Lock, ensure you regularly check your door locks.
- If you notice any damage or the lock is not working properly, replace it as soon as possible.
- If you are moving into a new home, have the locks changed.
- Keep your doors and windows locked at all times, even when you are home.
- Install a security system to deter burglars and give you peace of mind.
- Be sure to keep your valuables, including your key fob, in a safe place.
- If you lose your keys, be sure to change the locks as soon as possible.
- If you are planning to be away from home for an extended period, have someone check on your home regularly and check for any suspicious activity.
- When you are away from home, make sure to keep all doors and windows locked.
So there you have it! These are some of the different ways How to Remove Safety First Door Knob Lock. We hope you found this article helpful and that you can remove the lock without any issues. If you have any questions or would like to share your own methods, please leave a comment below. Thank you for reading!
You Can Check It Out to Replace Commercial Door Lock